We co-design MEL systems that allow organisations to learn and measure progress. Your team’s buy-in to the system is important, that is why it is important to strengthen their capacity to participate in knowledge production and use.
We design MEL plans and provide tools and documentation to ensure positive outcomes and the best possible rate of effective and efficient change to achieve social justice. We use participatory processes that build your capacity to design and implement MEL systems, ensuring sustainability.
We use a seven step process that can be modularised.
- MEL situational analysis and capacity assessment.
- Design of an MEL plan based on your program design (be it a Theory of Change, outcome mapping or logical framework – which we can also help you create). The MEL plan will include well formulated objectives/results (goals, outcomes and outputs); indicators or progress markers; data sources; plans for data gathering, analysis, reporting and use.
- Design of data collection tools, reporting formats, and information flows.
- Design of organisational systems, processes and protocols to support MEL, such as clearly defined roles and responsibilities for MEL activities, and data storage.
- Produce MEL framework and guideline documents.
- Learning Agenda and processes for using data to inform decision making.
- Continuous improvement of the MEL system.
Southern Hemisphere has fine-tuned the process of developing MEL systems over many years. We have supported the design of MEL systems for large partnership programs and small NGOs. Our overarching goal is always two-fold: To both improve your development outcomes and empower your team.